Log in

FAQ's About Starting an Adult Day Center

Q: What are the licensing requirements for Adult Day Centers in Michigan?
A: The State of Michigan does not require adult day service centers to be licensed, certified or accredited.  There are, however, minimum standards established by the Michigan Aging and Adult Services Agency (AASA) and local area agencies on aging, to which centers must comply to be eligible for funding through those organizations.  In addition, the National Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) has established standards for and has begun accrediting adult day service centers.  The National Adult Day Services Association and Michigan Adult Day Services Association have also published service guidelines to promote the provisions of quality adult day services meeting best practices of established adult day centers.

Q:  I have a facility available that I want to use to open a new Adult Day Center.  Do I need to follow any building regulations?
A:  Whatever the location, adult day centers must comply with state and local building regulations and ordinances, as well as zoning, fire and health codes.  Be aware that regulations, required inspections and /or facility certifications vary by community.  Contact your local unit of government’s planning, building or health departments for information on applicable codes, ordinances and regulations.  Centers should also be designed to comply with barrier-free design specifications as specified in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

Q:  What funding sources are available for Adult Day Services?

A:  Primary sources of funding for adult day service centers are participant fees for service, public and private grants such as those through the Area Agency on Aging, donations, and to a limited extent, third party reimbursement through long-term care and other health insurances.  If your facility meets approved guidelines, funding may be available through the Veteran Administration (VA), the Medicaid Waiver program and through Community Mental Health services. 

 The State's updated ADS standards can be found in the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services October 10, 2023 transmittal letter number 505

(TL 2023-505 Approved C-1 Adult Day Services_10.10.2023 - FINAL.pdf)

on the State of Michigan's web site.

Michigan adult day services association

MADSA, 600 Grand River Ave., Port Huron, MI 48060 

 © 2023 MADSA

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software